It's winter time here in Golden, Colorado! While we do rock climb all year long, we also offer a unique opportunity to have fun outside during the colder months. Ice climbing is truly a unique and interesting sport that not a lot of people have tried or even heard of! Once it's seen in action, many think it's hard or dangerous. Quite the contrary, ice climbing is fun and very beginner friendly. Here are a few reasons why you should give ice climbing a go!
1. It's something new to try! Everything is worth a go at least once!
2. You’ll look badass! I mean, come on... ice axes are some seriously cool looking tools and when you're literally climbing UP vertical ice pillars, you will look awesome. Talk about great Instagram pictures.
3. Speaking of Instagram, the views while ice climbing are breathtaking. Climbing during the winter offers a new way to see your favorite spots.
4. You'll stay in shape and keep your fitness up for rock climbing season. Ice climbing uses the same muscles you use to scale rock walls but in slightly different ways. These moves will keep you fit all winter long and you'll be ready for those 5.10s come spring!
5. Every ice climbing trip is unique! The ice forms different every year, giving you unique challenges each time. Plus, as people climb it and new ice forms, it changes it’s shape throughout the season. Ice climbing is a truly unique sport; it's different than any other sport and there's a unique formation every year.
6. You'll experience the mountains in a new way. And get a new respect for mother nature. Some ice climbing spots are a challenge to get to and require extra knowledge and gear for avalanche safety. When you get into the sport, mother nature will be a whole new creature to you.
7. You can “sharpen” your skills. Yes that’s an ice climbing pun. All the basic rock climbing skills (knots, anchor set up, etc.) are still used for ice climbing. Keep your skills on point (another pun) by practicing them in a new environment during the off season. When snow and ice is covering the ground, it allows for you to look at the environment in a new way and build anchors with what’s available.
Are you ready to give this new sport a try? Give us a ring or BOOK a day ice climbing trip!